Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Playing with my beads...O Mosaic design

I ran into this design on Pinterest and it led me to THIS blog article. There is no pattern available there, only information about Rachel Nelson Smith's book "Seed Bead Fusion" which contains the pattern. I liked the look of the tile motif so I thought I might be able to figure out how it was made by looking at the diagram posted on that blog and I also found an excerpt from the book HERE which has a bit more information and helped me see how to get started. Below are the two samples that I made:


  • 11/0 seed bead Miyuki "Dark Bronze" (457D)
  • 11/0 seed beads Miyuki "Bronze Bronze Matte" (457P)
  • 11/0 seed beads Miyuki "Matte Opaque Light Denim Luster" (2038)

  • 11/0 seed beads Toho "Gold Lustered Pale Wisteria" (455)
  • 11/0 seed beads Toho "Opaque Lavender AB" (412)
  • 11/0 seed beads Toho "Inside-Color Montana Blue/Oxblood Lined" (363)

Although it was fun making these samples, I don't like the pattern well enough to make a bracelet from it.


11 comments:

  1. I'm happy to see you working with seed beads only! Your work is always so even and perfect, that seed beads are a natural for you. This is very nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jeanie. It is nice to work with seed beads now and then in something like this. This pattern was kind of tricky because you don't see the whole pattern until you've completed at least a couple of rows of "tiles". If I had added another row you'd really see that there is a circle of beads around each tile. So, the seed beads on the side of each one form part of the circle around the adjacent tiles which intersect/overlap. I hope that makes sense. I decided that it wasn't quite fun enough to add more to the samples and then have to take them apart and sort the beads.

      Delete
  2. I actually love your samples. Is there a way to show us? If not, its fine. Would love to just weave and weave this :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you look at the link to Google Books, Megan? That's the pattern that I followed. Just start by making one square and the diagrams show how to add new ones. There are missing steps but it wasn't too hard to figure it out. The tricky part is knowing which colors to put where but that's up to you anyway. There are charts there that give you all sorts of color ideas.

      Delete
  3. magnifique, merci pour votre aide... j'aime votre site, trés agréable

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vous avez aussi agréable perlage sur votre blog. Je l'ai ajouté à la liste de blog.

      Delete
  4. What if you did two rows of herringbone to connect the two pieces that you have? Then you can make a slide tube for a necklace. Just an idea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a nice idea except that I never wear necklaces. I like the design but I mostly made it just to see if I could do it without a pattern.

      Delete
  5. I bought the eBook from Google for $9.99 which you view with google play. I find google play very cumbersome so I took screen shots to the patterns I was interested then combined the pages into PDF format. In the book she gives you eight variations of the bracelet pattern and a blank so you can work out your own pattern. The Ootheca Cuff in the book is quite pretty too. It is made with the same base. It took me a few minutes to figure out how to buy but found this page with Buy EBook link - https://books.google.com/books?id=2niQvQmnbKYC&dq=editions:ISBN1596685158

    ReplyDelete